The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering at UPEI offers a progressive and innovative four-year Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Design Engineering degree which recognizes the need for a broad and balanced engineering education. 该课程遵循当前工程教育的趋势，并注重学生的成果. Small class sizes within an activity-based learning environment allow faculty and staff to be student-centric and to provide specific and timely input to individual students.
学生将接触到广泛的工程科学知识和技能基础, natural science, mathematics, and complementary studies in concert with an applied project-based design stream simulating the engineering profession. 进入学位课程的学生将从第一天开始积极从事工程专业, 为社会问题提供创造性和可持续的解决方案. The degree program is designed to provide a highly flexible learning environment that is responsive to the dynamic needs of students and the industries that employ them.
In addition to fundamental science, engineering science and mathematics courses, 要求学生培养工程设计技能, communication, analysis, project management, professional ethics and more. With a solid grounding in these fundamentals, 三年级和四年级的学生可以通过选择一个工程重点领域来提高他们的技术知识:
- sustainable energy
Please refer to our Welcome and Advisement package to help with first-year registration, and the four-year degree course matrix, five-year degree course matrix and the five-year degree course matrix (Winter start) for planning.
Our student experience
You'll draw on the experience of your classmates, other senior students, professors, 以及知识渊博的行业专家，为代表所有行业和部门的客户解决现实问题.
我们的一年级学生以亲密的方式介绍设计工程, activity-oriented, project-based environment. Dedicated faculty members work closely and interactively with clusters of students to solve design problems in a controlled environment for community organizations and private enterprises.
Second-year students work on projects related to mechanical and/or electrical design using the same iterative design process experienced during their first year, 但随着客户咨询责任的增加, reporting requirements, design drawings, analysis, and prototype development.
In students' third year, project work shifts to industry projects related to mechatronics—designing and building functioning prototypes and conducting in-depth quality analysis—to produce industry-sponsored prototypes capable of deployment for testing in an actual industrial environment.
Fourth-year students work on projects that involve the design and optimization of systems in a wide variety of applications related to bioresources, sustainable energy, and mechatronics. 这些项目具有更高质量设计的潜力, prototypes, patents, and, in some cases, commercialization.
Engineered by design
It is increasingly recognized that understanding basic science and mathematics are only two of the many areas that are essential to professional engineering practice. Engineering students in this program must make responsible decisions based on good judgment and an ability to justify decisions within a structured analytical framework. Based on this generalist philosophy, 这个项目旨在培养学生的思考能力. This fundamental requirement of engineers to think critically in response to ever-changing and complex situations is accomplished through a design stream core which relies heavily on inquiry-based learning supported by traditional lecture-based knowledge. The progression in complex thinking skills occurs over the duration of the four-year program and beyond through appreciation of lifelong learning and professional development.
An integrated, stream of project-based design clinic courses through all four-years of the program provides students with the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills through working on real community and industry-based projects. Traditional content courses are delivered via an integrated and timely approach so that professional practice skills are developed in a simulated workplace environment. This program emphasizes design as an essential element of engineering as reflected in the Community Design Program (Year 1), 以及初级设计(二年级)和高级设计(三年级和四年级)诊所.
Community Design Program (Program Year 1)
1. Engineering 1210—Engineering Communications
2. Engineering 1220—Engineering Analysis
Junior Design Clinic (Program Year 2)
3. Engineering 2210—Engineering Projects I
4. Engineering 2220—Engineering Projects II
Senior Design Clinics (Program Years 3 and 4)
5. Engineering 3710—Project-Based Professional Practice I
6. Engineering 3720—Project-Based Professional Practice II
7. Engineering 4710—Project-Based Professional Practice III
8. Engineering 4720—Project-Based Professional Practice IV
Professional engineer and UPEI graduate Peter Doiron embodies the vision of UPEI’s Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering: providing opportunities for students to become qualified engineers who study, live, and work in Prince Edward Island
以下是四年制学位的课程顺序. 一个五年的学位序列也是可用的(参见矩阵概述部分的pdf). Please note that a 60% minimum grade is required in each of the following courses to proceed to the next course: Engineering 1210, 1220, 2210, 2220, 3710, 3720 and 4710.
NOTE: As per Academic Regulation 1h, all undergraduate degree programs require successful completion of IKE-1040 (new for students beginning or returning after re-application in Fall 2022); one of UPEI-1010, UPEI-1020, or UPEI-1030, and a Writing Intensive Course.
Program Year 1—Term 1
- Engineering 1210—Engineering Communications
- Engineering 1230—Engineering Mechanics I: Statics
- Engineering 1410—Sustainability in Engineering Design
- Chemistry 1110—General Chemistry I
- Mathematics 1910—Single Variable Calculus I
- Mathematics 2610—Linear Algebra
Program Year 1—Term 2
- Engineering 1220—Engineering Analysis
- Engineering 1250—Materials Science
- 工程1310 -计算机编程与工程应用
- Engineering 1340—Engineering Mechanics II: Dynamics
- Mathematics 1920—Single Variable Calculus II
- UPEI 1010—Writing Studies (ENG 1010)
Program Year 2—Term 3
- Engineering 2210—Engineering Projects I
- Engineering 2310—Strength of Materials
- Engineering 2610—Thermo Fluids I: Thermodynamics
- Engineering 2810—Electric Circuits
- Mathematics 2910—Multivariable and Vector Calculus
- IKE 1040—Indigenous Teachings
Program Year 2—Term 4
- Engineering 2130—Statistics for Engineering Applications
- Engineering 2220—Engineering Projects II
- Engineering 2360—Materials, Mechanics, and Manufacturing
- Engineering 2620—Thermo Fluids II: Fluid Mechanics
- Engineering 2830—Digital Logic Design
- Mathematics 3010—Differential Equations
Program Year 3—Term 5
- Engineering 3220—Engineering Measurements
- 工程3630 -热流体III:传热和热力学循环
- Engineering 3710—Project-Based Professional Practice I
- Engineering 3810—Systems Engineering
- 一(1)入门工程重点领域选修课* (ENGN 3340,3440,3540)
Program Year 3—Term 6
- Engineering 3270—Machines & Automatic Controls
- 工程3430 -技术管理与创业
- Engineering 3720—Project-Based Professional Practice II
- Engineering 3820—System Dynamics with Simulation
- One (1) engineering focus area elective*
Program Year 4—Term 7
- Engineering 4210—Facilitated Study & Experimental Practice
- Engineering 4710—Project-Based Professional Practice III
- 工程4850 -工程设计计算方法
- One (1) engineering focus area elective*
Program Year 4—Term 8
- Engineering 4720—Project-Based Professional Practice IV
- One (1) engineering focus area elective*
- One (1) complementary studies OR science elective
*Four engineering focus area electives are required. The first of these (Program Year 3, 学期5)必须是机电一体化的导论选修课, sustainable energy, or bio-resources:
- 工程3340 -机电工程概论
- 工程3440 -可持续能源工程概论
- 工程3540 -生物资源工程概论
The remaining three engineering focus area electives, in Terms 6, 7 and 8, can be selected from any of the following courses. 至少有一门工程重点选修课必须达到4000级.
- 工程3370 -机电系统集成与接口设计
- Engineering 3380—Real-time Embedded Systems
- 工程3390 -机械电子计算机辅助产品开发导论, Modelling and Simulation
- Engineering 3450—Wind and Water Power
- Engineering 3460—Solar Energy and Electricity Storage
- Engineering 3490—Chemical Energy Conversion
- 工程3570 -生物材料工程应用
- Engineering 3580—Soil Mechanics
- Engineering 4320—Control System Design
- Engineering 4330—Innovations in Biomedical Engineering
- Engineering 4350—Advanced Robotic Dynamics and Control
- Engineering 4370—Fluid Power Control
- Engineering 4410—Macro Energy Systems
- Engineering 4440—Advanced Energy Storage
- Engineering 4450—Fluid Loads on Energy Structures
- Engineering 4470—Micro Grids
- Engineering 4510—Geoinformatics in Bioresources
- Engineering 4530—Fundamentals of Agricultural Machinery
- Engineering 4550—Biotechnological Processes
- Engineering 4830—Biomedical Signal Processing
The UPEI Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering is devoted to developing engineers with exceptional design and professional skills combined with a global perspective.
For High School Applicants
Successful completion of Grade 12 examinations in a University Preparatory Program with an overall average of at least 70% in the following courses, 12年级数学成绩不低于65%，且不低于70%;
- Grade 12 academic English
- Grade 12 academic Mathematics
- One additional Grade 12 academic course
The prerequisite for Chemistry 1110 (a required course in the engineering program) is Grade 12 academic Chemistry or UPEI Chemistry 0001.
Applicants from other institutions
Applicants attending or having attended another institution who are seeking to transfer into UPEI’s engineering program must meet the same requirements as for High School applicants as well as the requirements for University Transfer Students. 成绩单将被审查为可能的课程转换学分.
Refer to the Specific Program Admission Requirements in the UPEI Academic Calendar for more information.
UPEI's undergraduate tuition is the second-lowest 在大西洋地区，我们提供数百万美元的奖学金和奖励.
$3,285 per semester ($657 per 3 credit course)
For a complete breakdown of part-time or full-time study as a student in the Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
Scholarships and Awards
UPEI supports you and your educational goals. 我们每年为本科生和研究生提供数百万美元的奖学金和奖励. 根据你的学院或课程和学习年份，你可能有资格获得现有的奖励.
Search the complete list of scholarships for information and application forms.
Celebrating Student Achievement
包括保证入学奖学金和学术优秀奖, these awards recognize the academic achievements of all students who meet the eligibility criteria while studying towards their first undergraduate degree.
Visit the Scholarships site for complete information.
UPEI has about 250 faculty—exceptional scholars, teachers, and mentors, with more being hired each year as we open new, progressive, and unique programs. But the story isn’t just in the numbers. It’s in the quality of our people. 来自世界各地的获奖教师已经把UPEI作为家. Here, you’ll learn directly from these world-class professors and researchers in small classes where you’ll have easy access to them.